Friday 7 April 2017

his prayer, from a cross of wood : Good Friday

Psalm 22






God?
God?
forsaken
alone
groaning
the psalmist cried out
all day long and all
through his restless night.
where have you gone?
where is your throne?
God?

You are holy
ancestors trusted
they trusted
you were there.
despised
scorned
no more than a dirt-bound worm.
mocked
taunted
God?
God?
are you there?

you were there
at my birth
you have been with me
ever since
do not leave me
now
there is no one else
to help me

bulls
circling
lions
roaring
thirsty
broken
melting
empty
dogs
circling
scavenging
tearing my clothes
gnawing at my bones
do no leave me now
for the dog’s teeth
the lion’s mouth
God?

God?
rescue me, please,
my Holy, Sacred, Home
bring me home
you are God
you alone
I live for you
I die for you
I live
you live

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment