Sunday 16 June 2019

A cry of anguish

after Psalms 42 & 43 

Where is your God? they ask
when I am troubled – where
is your Holy One? I cannot
answer from deep within this dark
disquiet: I ask, myself, where is my God?

For tears are all I drink, both day
and night; sorrow the only
food for this starving soul. But I
have danced with multitudes, sung
with pilgrims psalms of praise: remember,
soul, hold on to hope – we will
sing our praise again.

Like a kangaroo traversing wide
brown land, I reach with all
remaining strength for water
holes, for streams of life to quench
my thirst, to sate my longing
for my God, to bring me back.

Where is your God? they taunt
me still, and still I say, hold on:
hold on, my soul, remember – hope –
the song shines moonbeams,
of lovingkindness, sunshine
shimmering in the night. Hold
on, dear soul, your wounds
will heal and trouble will abate.


Holy deep calls to your deep
anguish, thundering tremors,
crashing waves: do not forget,
remember, friends from where does your help
come? From God – hold on to
hope, for God will come, will lead
us home, and we will sing again.

No comments:

Post a Comment