Sunday 14 February 2021

Breathe Again


Confession, Thanksgiving, and Praise 
after Psalm 51:1–17 
for Ash Wednesday 

I stop.
Drop to my knees. 
I can see,
I will look,
all the ways I have not
walked Your Way. 
By my shame
I am brought
to my knees; 
in my sorrow
I fold my head low,
for I know
You know
there is nothing left
but to confess. 

I confess. 
Hear me fairly, 
look through Your eyes
of lovingkindness
that see 
and then choose not
to see
so I may breathe 
again. 


I stop. 
Drop to my knees. 
I can hear,
I will listen, 
in the chamber of my 
secret heart – 
oh, meet me there,
Merciful One, 
and whisper joy,
promise grace
as you have of old,
and I will lift my eyes,
throw wide my arms
and let you in
where You – to my surprise
and my delight – have told me
You will dwell! 

I thank you: 
this freedom,
this life,
this begin anew. 
I thank you
as I breathe
again. 


I stop. 
Drop to my knees. 
I can speak,
I will sing,
Your story 
and your glory
shining, shimmering,
sparkling glass of bubbling gold 
that overflows! 
Come near,
people dear: 
come sing the Song of Life,
the Song of Joy! 

We praise You,
Source of Life;
we praise You,
Way of Life;
we praise You,
Breath of Life,
and we breathe
again. 


1 comment: