Sunday 8 November 2020

Sometimes the Story tastes sour


Judges 4:1–7 

Holy One of the Sacred Story,
sometimes I do not understand. 

That you hear the cry of Israel
oppressed in Canaan, twenty
years oppressed by cruel hands – 
I do see you, Merciful One. 

That you speak redemption
through prophet-judge Deborah,
end to misery by their own hands – 
I do see you, Faithful One. 

That you promise to deliver
the oppressor through battle,
ten thousand swords in hand – 
I try to see you, Justice. 

That you choose to work 
through human ones, women
as well as men – 
I do see you, Holy Partner. 

But must I see you descending Tabor
before Barak and ten
thousand solders' swords,
leaving not one of Sisera's 
men alive? 

Must I see your hand in Jael's,
rending peace with tent peg
and hammer, not 
one left? 

Is that really you, subduing
one army through the weapons 
of another, redeeming some
humans, rejecting others? 

Holy One of the Sacred Story,
meet me here as I know you, 
Justice, Mercy, Steadfast Love; 
meet me in my confusion
even if this story must remain 

1 comment:

  1. Powerful as Job. Thank you, Sarah and greetings from Dayton, Ohio USA.

    ReplyDelete